Use “4-7-8 Breathing” to deeply relax or to fall asleep.
This useful and powerful technique, made famous by Dr. Andrew Weil, places the body into a state of deep relaxation. “4-7-8 Breathing” is a great way to deeply relax the body and is unbeatable on long flights to fall asleep. Weil offers a step-by-step instructional video on YouTube which has been viewed more than four million times.
- Take a breath in, then exhale through your mouth with a ‘whoosh’ sound.
- Close the mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, with a ‘whoosh,’ to the count of eight.
- Repeat this cycle for at least four breaths.
Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.