Create a small organization to capture small-market opportunities
- Form a team to bring the technology to market.
Set up an organization that is the right size for the opportunity.
- Buy a small business to nurture disruptive technology.
Allen Bradley and Johnson & Johnson used this strategy. It involves launching products with disruptive technologies through small companies that have been acquired for this purpose.
- Keep the business as a separate entity.
This helps create a successful position in the new technology. Allen Bradley, for example, kept its electronic controller business separate from its main electromechanical product operations.
- Establish independent operating companies.
Johnson & Johnson has 160 independent operating companies, ranging from its large MacNeil and Janssen pharmaceutical companies to small companies with annual revenues of less than $20 million.
- Aim to be a leader in commercializing disruptive technologies.
Identify the disruptive technologies that can be commercialized and create plans to be a leader in their commercialization.
No insights yet
Our mobile app, Mentorist, will guide you on how to acquire this skill.
If you have the app installed