Delegate tasks using the Delegation Hierarchy
- Decide what tasks to delegate.
If you created your freedom compass (see Chapter 1), you may choose from the tasks under the Drudgery Zone and then move to your Disinterest and Distraction Zones. Otherwise, identify the important tasks that you, specifically, do not need to work on.
- Select the best person to do the tasks.
In outsourcing a task, try to assign someone who is both passionate about and proficient at it.
- Communicate the workflow.
If you want the person to do the job the way you envision it, you need to be clear of the steps. You can show them the workflow with a written document or just discuss it with them.
- Provide them with the necessary resources.
These include files or specific tools that they need to complete the task.
- Identify the delegation level of the task.
This refers to the extent of the authority and autonomy you’re giving them. There are five levels of delegation you could choose from:
- Level 1: When you only want the person to do exactly what you told them to do.
- Level 2: When you want the person to research the topic and report back.
- Level 3: When you want the person to research the topic, outline options and make recommendations.
- Level 4: When you permit the person to decide and then tell you what they did.
- Level 5: When you allow the person to decide whatever they think is best for the project.
- Let them handle the task.
Try not to question their every action and decision. If you selected the person that greatly fits the job, they would surely be able to pull it off.
- Keep an eye on them and provide feedback when necessary.
To ensure that the person is progressing towards accomplishing the task, you need to check in with them. Guide them until they have everything under control.
No insights yet
Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.