Celebrate when you need to feel a surge of positive emotions
- When you are feeling down or defeated, go to the messiest room in your house (or the worst corner of your office)
- Allow yourself to cry, wallow, or rant for a certain amount of time, then say, “Okay, let’s get on with it”
- Set a timer for three minutes and start tidying up
If you feel you need more time, set it for five minutes.
- After you tidy each item, celebrate
After every piece of paper you bin, every dish towel you fold, every toy you put away, celebrate! Say, “Wow. That looks better.” Do a fist bump, give yourself a thumbs up, hum a song, etc.
- Keep tidying and celebrating each tiny success even if you don’t feel it authentically
Experiment. Give it a go! Celebration might not feel natural to you, that’s okay, but practicing this skill will help you to get comfortable.
- When the timer goes off, stop and tune into what you are feeling
Is your mood lighter? Are you feeling more optimistic about your day and the tasks ahead?
No insights yet
Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.