Evaluate how independently your people can take action.
The success of a team depends a lot on the independence of each team member. It rarely depends solely on the leader and his or her decision. Instead, it depends on the decisions that the team members make independently.
You, as a leader, must develop people to be more independent in order to maximize their effort.
Evaluate each team member. How independent are they? There are six levels, from least independent to most independent:
- Look into it. Report. I’ll decide what to do.
- Look into it. Report alternatives with pros, cons, and your recommendation.
- Look into it. Let me know what you intend to do, but don’t do it unless I say yes.
- Look into it. Let me know what you intend to do, and do it unless I say no.
- Take action. Let me know what you did.
- Take action. No further contact required.
Help your people to become leaders that take action without needing your input.
Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.